In our line of business, we here at United Label get this question a lot: So what is digital label printing, anyway–and why is it so important for my business? In this article, you’re going to find out.
What Are Digital Labels?
Digital labels are a type of label that is produced using digital printing technology. This technology uses digital files to directly print the label design onto a substrate such as paper, film, or synthetic materials, without the need for printing plates or cylinders. Digital labels offer several advantages over traditional label printing methods, including:
- High-quality printing: Digital printing technology can produce high-quality labels with sharp images, vivid colors, and fine details, even for complex designs.
- Customization: Digital labels allow for easy customization of label designs, including variable data printing, which allows for unique information to be printed on each label, such as serial numbers, barcodes, or QR codes.
- Short runs: Digital label printing allows for cost-effective printing of small to medium-sized runs, which makes it ideal for producing small quantities of labels for seasonal or limited-edition products.
- Faster turnaround time: Digital label printing has faster setup times than traditional printing methods, which means that labels can be produced and delivered more quickly.
- Reduced waste: Digital printing technology eliminates the need for printing plates or cylinders, which reduces the amount of waste generated during the printing process.
Digital labels are used in a variety of industries, including food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and consumer goods, where they are used to provide product information, branding, and marketing messages on product packaging.
How Does Digital Label Printing Work?
Digital label printing is a printing process that uses digital technology to produce high-quality labels directly from digital files. Here is a step-by-step process of how digital label printing works:
- Design: The label design is created using graphic design software such as Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. The design can include text, graphics, and images.
- File Preparation: Once the label design is complete, it is saved as a high-resolution digital file, typically in a format such as PDF or AI. The file is then prepared for printing using software that optimizes the file for the printing process.
- Printing: The prepared digital file is sent to the digital label printer. The printer uses digital printing technology, such as inkjet or laser printing, to directly print the label design onto the substrate material. The printer applies the ink or toner to the substrate material in layers to create the final label design.
- Finishing: Once the label design is printed, it may undergo additional finishing processes, such as laminating or die-cutting, to add durability or to cut the label into a specific shape or size.
- Inspection: The printed labels are inspected for quality, accuracy, and consistency to ensure they meet the required specifications.
- Packaging and Shipping: The finished labels are then packaged and shipped to the customer or to the manufacturer for use in product packaging.
Digital label printing offers several advantages over traditional label printing methods, including the ability to produce high-quality labels quickly and cost-effectively. It also allows for easy customization of label designs and shorter production runs, making it ideal for small to medium-sized businesses.
Why Is Digital Label Printing A Great Option For My Business?
Digital label printing is a good option for businesses for several reasons: customization, short runs, faster turnaround times, and reduced waste. You should also consider that digital label printing offers:
- Superior quality: Digital label printing technology can produce high-quality labels with sharp images, vivid colors, and fine details, even for complex designs. This can help businesses to create a professional and eye-catching product label that stands out on the shelf and helps to build brand recognition.
- A cost-effective printing solution: Digital label printing is often more cost-effective than traditional label printing methods, especially for small to medium-sized runs. This can help businesses to save money on their labeling costs and reinvest those savings into other areas of their business.
Overall, digital label printing is a flexible and cost-effective option for businesses that need high-quality, customizable labels produced quickly and efficiently.
Contact United Label
We provide custom pressure sensitive labels for commercial and industrial applications all over the country. Contact United Label by calling 973.589.6500 or using the contact form to the right of this article for your next digital label printing project!